Disambiguation: a bamboo flute
Description: It is an end blown flute and can change in size (20cm to over 1m). The shorter the suling, the higher in pitch it is.
- High-register suling
- played solo/with a gamelan ensemble
- most commonly used to accompany rindik, joged bumbung, angklung, arja and gong kebyar
- most common type of flute
- easier to play and require less breath.
- Mid-register suling
- used to accompany gong suling, gong kebyar, pelegongan, bebarongan and semar pegulingan
- played in pairs and tuned slightly out from each other
- produces a humming sound and accentuates the melody
- Low-register suling
- only found in the gambuh ensemble
- they need to have one end resting on the ground when played