A "nice to have": a way to upload (and vote on) checksums for audio data associated with a particular disc ID in Musicbrainz.
This is essentially the same thing as accuraterip, but with a few improvements possible:
- musicbrainz has a much nicer API and editing experience
- data is kept in a much more open way
- data is inside musicbrainz – no need to go elsewhere
- could take this chance to fix the 30 sample offset problem that accuraterip has
- could use more robust checksums than CRC (ie: sha1 or something)
Populating the data could be problematic and this has been an issue raised in the past – without a dedicating ripping application submitting data to the server, how do you get up to critical mass fast enough? I think this could be handled by making the feature available to those who want to use it. If nobody uses it, there is no harm, but for some releases it would be available, at least.
Another problem is the offset problem (ie: different drives rip at different offsets). It might be nice to come up with a checksum mechanism that was capable of detecting errors due to offsets and reporting that to the user (so that they can adjust their ripping program).