I was importing this release :
Into musicbrainz and noticed some sub-optimal behavior with regards to the recording search on the "Recordings" tab of the release editor.
1) all of the recordings on the release were already in musicbrainz, because the release is a CD compilation of tracks from previous vinyl releases
2) because the existing recordings are all from vinyl, their durations are all (?:??)
3) perhaps because of 2, none of them are returned in indexed search at all
4) when I switched to direct search, they would be returned. however on track 7, "Black Cat," the results did not appear to suggest a constraint on artist name... so after being unable to locate my release in the first 7 pages of slow direct search results, I gave up and just copy/pasted from the release page for the vinyl release.
In summary :
- It is unexpected that indexed search does not return "exact artist-name+exact recording title" matches under some circumstances. It seems especially odd because on the recording tab the artist-name constraint is already hydrated with a mbid.
- It is unexpected that direct search does not return "exact artist-name+exact recording title" matches first.
As an aside, I wonder how many duplicate recordings I have personally created as a result of encountering this case...