Type: New Feature
Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: None
Component/s: Misc features
As they currently are, tags are a giant mess. We've already decided that we won't add genres as a first-class entity of their own (
MBS-3738), and previous summits seem to have favored some sort of enhanced tags to represent them. This increases the need for better tag organization.
Danbooru-style image boards use color-coded categories for tags. As an example, one of them has these four:
- artist: the artist who made the particular image, e.g. "clamp"
- copyright: the original work or franchise, e.g. "chobits"
- character: the characters depicted in an image, e.g. "chii"
- general: various other tags describing the image, e.g. "umbrella" or "scan". Some boards divide these further and would e.g. label the latter as a technical aspect.
I think that we could apply these ideas quite well for some of the things we use tags for, such as:
- media franchises (also see MBS-8273)
- themes, e.g. "love song", "party" etc.
And possibly other categories such as stylistic elements, as well as unsorted, general tags for everything else.